Re: enums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: enums
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>>>But why force a re-write of the entire table just to change the name of
>>>something?
>>>

>>Because you are not just changing the name of something.
>>

>No, I was refering specifically to the case of wanting to rename
>something. IE: you setup an enum for sky colors (blue, black), and then
>the PHB issues an edict that the daytime sky is now green. In this case
>you (or at least I) don't want to define a new enum, I just want to
>change 'blue' to 'green' in that enum. There's no reason it needs to hit
>the table at all.

Well, with enumkit you can't, because the values are hardwired in the
.so file. With a builtin facility you would be able to, because the
values would live in the catalog. However, hacking the catalog is not
something I would encourage - what you are suggesting basically breaks
the abstraction. But sure, it would be possible. I would not provide an
SQL level facility to do it, though. My approved way to do it would be
like the example I gave earlier.

cheers

andrew