Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2015-08-01 19:13:05 -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
>> That's a bug.  The test_ddl_deparse suite leaves a shell type, which
>> pg_upgrade fails to reproduce.  Whether to have pg_upgrade support that or
>> just error out cleanly is another question.

> There seems little justification to not support shell types. We should
> also add a shell type to the standard regression testing database,
> they're "weird" enough that some increased exposure seems like a good
> idea.

Agreed.  I was a bit surprised to find that pg_dump skips shell types,
actually.  Probably that's a hangover from when "create function foo()
returns bogus" would autocreate a shell type named "bogus".  In all
modern releases, it's fairly hard to accidentally create a shell type,
so we should probably assume that the user meant it to be there.