Re: casting character varying to integer - order by numeric - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Terry Fielder
Subject Re: casting character varying to integer - order by numeric
Date
List pgsql-sql
Check out the function to_number()

In particular here's an example...
If a field named section is text containing numbers:
ORDER BY to_number(t.section, text(99999999))

If the field can also contain non-numerals such as 3a, 3b, and you want
3a to show first then do this:
ORDER BY to_number(t.section, text(99999999)), t.section

And if the field section can actually START with an alpha, then to
prevent to_number from failing do this:
to_number(textcat('0', t.section), text(99999999)), t.section

Terry

--
Terry Fielder
terry@greatgulfhomes.com