Two places to concentrate - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Two places to concentrate
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>>This is one reason why I would like to see some of us push PostgreSQL
>>into a role of *the* RDBMS to study for RDBMS theory.  Unfortunately
>>this means a lot of documentation written by experts interested in
>>really teaching beginners the right way to do things....  I don't
>>consider myself qualified to do this by myself.
>>

>I like this idea.  I wonder how to get it moving.

I think there are two aspects to this puzzle.  The first is to support
the companies that do training as Robert suggests.

But there is a second one too.  I think that we as a community would do
well to create documentation about RDBMS fundamentals using PostgreSQL
as the reference example.  Topics might include:

1)  Relational Theory
2)  Normalization
3)  Database Design (including Date's Central Rule)
4)  Performance considerations (implimentation and
non-implimentation-specific)

Any others?  Maybe SQL as a language?  However, part of what would be
required to make this work is that you would need to make the RDBMS as
standards-compliant as possible, and provide the option for standard
behavior even if people don't generally like one specific aspect of the
standard.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting