Re: Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 10/18/2005 11:07 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 06:09:59PM -0400, Robert Bernier wrote:
>
>> In canada we have a thing called the competition bureau, a company
>> is not allowed to buy another company if its to reduce competition
>
> Yes.  Like Air Canada and Canadian Air. . . oops.  Wait.
>
> It's a bureaucratic leap, for sure, but if the target company is in
> sufficiently bad straits, nobody will stop it.  Being unable to
> control your central technology might well qualify.

There are similar control mechanism in Germany and I guess most other
countries. The goal of them however is NOT to increase competition as
much as possible, but rather to avoid any monopol building mergers or
acquisitions. Oracle swallowing MySQL would create a monopol? Cough!

Jan