Re: How many digits are printed with double precision? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How many digits are printed with double precision?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Mathieu Dubois <mathieu.dubois@limsi.fr> writes:
> I have a double precision column in my DB (it's the time at which an
> image was taken expressed in second from UNIX epoch). When I query the
> value (SELECT time...) I get only 5 digits after the dot (while I
> /suppose/ there are 6 digits). I have the same result when using
> pgadmin. The results looks like the rounding of the desired time (which
> I know by the filename).

See extra_float_digits.  Be aware that cranking that up produces digits
that are not 100% trustworthy.  If you are expecting exact results of
more than 15 places, you likely shouldn't be using float arithmetic.

            regards, tom lane