Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections
Date
List pgsql-general
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> But I'm sure that with a few tweaks to the code here and there it's
> doable, just don't expect it to work "out of the box".

I think you'd be sticking your neck out to assume that 10k concurrent
connections would perform well, even after tweaking.  I'd worry first
about whether the OS can handle 10k processes (which among other things
would probably require order-of-300k open file descriptors...).  Maybe
Solaris is built to do that but the Unixen I've dealt with would go
belly up.  After that you'd have to look at Postgres' internal issues
--- contention on access to the PROC array would probably become a
significant factor, for example, and we'd have to do some redesign to
avoid linear scans of the PROC array where possible.

I don't doubt that we could support 10k concurrent *users*, given
connection pooling of some kind.  I'm dubious about 10k concurrent
database sessions though.

            regards, tom lane