Re: creating postgres tables by passing a string to function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: creating postgres tables by passing a string to function
Date
List pgsql-sql
Scott cox wrote:
> I am storing data separated by month.
> How do I perform Inserts and Selects based on something like this.
>
> select * from (select  'shipped' || '0509') AS aShippingTable
>
> The table 'shipped' || '0509' exists.
>
> I am scanning barcode labels which have the '0509' on them and I want to
> move the data
> to appropiate monthly tables. '0510' would represent shipped on 2005
> october.
>
> Eventually I want to create, insert, select all based on passing a
> string such as '0509'  to a function.

Well, it sounds like you want to look at the EXECUTE command if you're
thinking of writing functions in plpgsql.

However, you don't say how you came to the conclusion that separating
your shipping-table into hundreds of smaller tables was the best design.
Can I ask what testing you did and what the results were?

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd