Re: Controlling access to Sequences - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Controlling access to Sequences
Date
List pgsql-sql
Matthew Horoschun <mhoroschun@canprint.com.au> writes:
> Should I just avoid SEQUENCES altogether and use the OIDs under normal
> circumstances and the MAX( id ) + 1 style thing when I need a
> human-usable number?

I don't think so.  MAX()+1 has more than enough problems of its own.

The real bottom line here is that you should not allow untrustworthy
users any sort of direct access to SQL commands of any kind.  They
should only be allowed access to an application that issues suitably
restricted SQL commands on their behalf.
        regards, tom lane