Re: Utility that creates table schema from csv data? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Utility that creates table schema from csv data?
Date
List pgsql-general
CSN wrote:
> Probably wishful thinking, but who knows - maybe
> there's something in contrib! I have a bunch of csv
> data with the field names specified on the first line
> of the various files. Is there any such utility that
> will create a table schema using the field names AND
> look through the data and determine what data types
> each field should be?

I'm not sure that's possible in a general sense. Is 123 text or a
number? How do I prove it one way or another?

However, if you were happy to end up with "good enough" types (i.e.
might end up using text instead of a more specific type), and know that
data was representative then it shouldn't be too tricky to write some
pattern-matching Perl to do the job.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd