Re: What happens when wal fails? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: What happens when wal fails?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Joseph Shraibman <jks@selectacast.net> writes:
>>If I put the pg_xlog directory on its own disk, then that disk fails,
>>does that mean the postgres is hosed or does it just mean that postgres
>>no longer safe from a power outage?
>
> The latter.  The WAL is actually write-only during normal operation.

Well, data loss is certainly possible. Suppose a power failure caused
the machine to go down and (for whatever reason) also resulted in losing
the disk on which the WAL is stored. Since recovery will not be
possible, there will probably be data corruption.

-Neil