Re: [repost] trigger update time - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [repost] trigger update time
Date
List pgsql-novice
Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> writes:
> However I now get the following error:
> obf=# insert into messages (id_person, id_idea, content) values
> obf-# (5, 7, 'but all this txting is irritating!');
> ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 51144: cache lookup failed

If you drop and re-create a function then the new function is a new
object with a new OID, so triggers and other references to it will be
broken.  You need to drop and re-create the trigger too.

If you are using 7.2 or later then a better way is to redefine the
function with CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION.  This preserves the OID
and thus avoids breaking dependencies.

            regards, tom lane