Re: Need indexes on empty tables for good performance ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Need indexes on empty tables for good performance ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Lenard, Rohan (Rohan) wrote:

> Actually the indexes on the child table do seem to get used - I just
> wanted to make sure there was no penalty not having indexes on the
> empty parent tables.
>
> You are right - the parent is the best way to get at the unknown
> children ...

Indexes are created in the inheritance process, iirc.  However, index
entries are not inherited, which means that index-based unique
constraints don't properly get inherited.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting