Re: postgresql fails to start after symlinking pgdata dir - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gene
Subject Re: postgresql fails to start after symlinking pgdata dir
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom,

You were right i just considered that a few minutes ago before getting your response.
I set SELINUX=disabled in /etc/sysconfig/selinux and it started up ok.

a note in this file: http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000048 would be handy for those who forget easily and aren't sysadmins :)

thanks!

Gene < genekhart@gmail.com> writes:
> In the past I've always done the following with success (this is under
> fedora core 6 x86_64):

> mv /var/lib/pgsql/data /data/pg/
> ln -s /data/pg/data /var/lib/pgsql/data
> /etc/init.d/postgresql start

> I just installed 8.2.2 on a new FC6 machine and when I do that it fails to
> start. The logs reveal nothing.

Smells like a SELinux problem --- you probably need to set the
appropriate security context on /data/pg.  It might even take an update
to the policy ... not sure if the /var/lib/pgsql path is wired into the
policy or if it's just driven off file context markers.  Look for avc
denied messages in the kernel log to get a hint.

Or you could just do "setenforce 0" but I don't recommend that ...

Gene Hart
cell: 443-604-2679