Re: table partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gene
Subject Re: table partitioning
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris,

I'm using a cron job which creates a new partition table every night at midnight. After I create the table, I update the rule on the parent table so that new records go into the new partition table. Then I update the constraints on the tables so that constraint exclusion works. I'm doing it this way because you'll find if you have multiple rules on the parent table it might not return the proper result for the number of affected rows (might not be an issue for you). If you don't need to do it like this, just create a script that creates all the tables ahead of time. for year-month shouldn't be too many.

Gene