Re: Serials jumping - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Serials jumping
Date
List pgsql-general
Matt A. wrote:
> I did not know that about every call to nextval, but
> that does make sense.
>
> I need a way to return the new ID of the SERIAL column
> on INSERT to add the related rows into the proper
> tables explictly. Similiar to how I could use
> @@identity to retrive the value in sql2000.

Once you insert into the table that has the serial you
can use currval('sequencename') to return the value of the
id just inserted.

The caveat is that you must do it in order e.g.,

insert
currval
insert
currval

But this will work as long as you are within the same transaction.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake