Re: Query results caching? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Query results caching?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dann Corbit wrote:

> If I have a 4 million row table, with long rows and big varchar columns
> and I run a query on a column like this:
>
>     SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE product LIKE '%Table%'
>
> It isn't going to be fast on any system with any database.

Hypothetically it seems one could theoretically use some sort
of GIST index not unlike the contrib/trigram stuff to speed
up like clauses like that.   If so, I wonder if down the road
that could be a nice competitive advantage over systems with
less flexible index systems.  Is that a possible TODO?