Re: Postgresql replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Postgresql replication
Date
List pgsql-general
Welty, Richard wrote:
> Jeff Davis writes:
>

>>The disadvantages:
>

> one more: if you actually have m tables and n servers, you have
> m x n tables in reality, which is pretty miserable scaling behavior.
> i should think that rules, triggers, and embedded procedures would
> explode in complexity rather rapidly.
>
> i know i wouldn't want to administer one of these if there were a lot
> of sites.

True, but in practice n will usually be fairly reasonable. In
particular, his setup sounded like it would be only a few.

Also, you're really talking about scalability of administration. I don't
 think performance will be significantly impacted.

>>I hope this is helpful. Let me know if there's some reason my plan won't
>>work.
>

> look at the solution in pgreplicator. site ids are embedded in the
> id columns in the tables, so there only m tables, and a bit less insanity.

That doesn't work with Slony-I unfortunately. I don't know much about
pgreplicator, but if it does something similar to what I'm talking
about, maybe it's a good thing to look into.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis