Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
Nigel Horne schrieb:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 14:49, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>>Nigel Horne schrieb:

>>>How does that help with my problem? I seems to discuss returning more
>>>than one row of a table which is not the question I asked.
>>>

>>try to tell your questions more precisely :-)
>

> I want to return more than one value from a procedure, e.g. a string and
> an integer.
>

>>I think you want to return a record or tabletype.
>

> Not really, since those values could be computed on the fly, they may
> not be values in a database.
>

>>IIrc you got the answers to that already :-)
>

> Nope.

Well, I was sure. And here it is again (from Tom Lane: )

--- cite ---
You've misunderstood this completely.  We are not storing anything
essential in the table, we're just using its rowtype to describe the
function's composite-type result.

Personally I would have written the example using a composite type
to make this more clear:

CREATE TYPE test_func_type AS (id int, name text);

CREATE FUNCTION test_func() RETURNS SETOF test_func_type AS $$
   SELECT 1, 'me' UNION ALL SELECT 2, 'you'
$$ LANGUAGE sql;

select * from test_func();
  id | name
   1 | me
   2 | you
(2 rows)

--- cite ---

When this isnt what you want, you are out of options I fear.
Maybe you would write an example of how your hypotetical
function should act?

Regards
Tino