Re: error inserting big files in DB. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: error inserting big files in DB.
Date
List pgsql-general
Marlos Corrêa wrote:
> Hi, Folks.
>
> I've a problem so i can use some help.
> I've trying to put a 5 MB file in my database, but i got an error.
> Anyone knows if  "lo_import" or "lo" (type of bytea) has a limit of
> data transferred in one operation?

There are two things here - large-objects (accessed by the lo_xxx
functions) and bytea - which are just a standard data-type.

> Some people tell me that i can't transferr more than 1 MB a time to
> Postgresql, so i need to

Which people? Did they quote the manuals?

> divide my file in many small pices, than upload they one at time, and
> finally, use some workaround in DB to restore my original file. Is
> this correct?

Not as far as I have heard. Did you try the manuals?

> Below is a piece of code that i use:
>
> $conteudo=addslashes(fread(fopen($arq, "r"), filesize($arq)));
> $sql="insert into arquivos (nome, tipo, tamanho, dados) values
> ('$arq_name', '$arq_type', '$arq_size', lo_import('" .
> addslashes($arq) . "'));";
>
> I would be pleased if anyone could help me.

You said you got an error, but don't actually say what error it was.
Come to think of it, you don't say what language that code fragment is
in - presumably PHP since you have "addslashes()" mentioned. What was
the error?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd