Access NEW and OLD from function called by a rule - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frodo Larik
Subject Access NEW and OLD from function called by a rule
Date
Re: Access NEW and OLD from function called by a rule  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to get a hold of the NEW and OLD
variables available in a Rule and pass them to a function? Maybe there
is another (better) way of accomplishing what I try to do, so I'll
sketch you my testing layout:

CREATE TABLE clients (
   id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
   name text
);

CREATE TABLE persons  (
   id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
   first_name text,
   last_name text
);

CREATE TABLE t_workers (
   id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
   person_id integer REFERENCES persons(id),
   client_id integer REFERENCES clients(id)
);

CREATE TABLE t_contacts (
   id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
   person_id integer REFERENCES persons(id),
   client_id integer REFERENCES clients(id)
);

-- view containing all worker data
CREATE VIEW workers
AS
   SELECT w.*, p.first_name, p.last_name FROM t_workers AS w
   INNER JOIN persons AS p ON ( w.person_id = p.id );

Now for inserting data in  the workers view I created a rule:

CREATE OR REPLACE RULE insert_worker AS ON INSERT TO workers DO INSTEAD (
   INSERT INTO persons ( first_name, last_name )
      VALUES ( NEW.first_name, NEW.last_name );

   INSERT INTO t_workers ( person_id, client_id )
      VALUES ( currval('persons_id_seq'), NEW.client_id );
);

This works. Then I also have a t_contacts table where I want do the same
with, I create a view called contacts and a rule called insert_contact.
Later on I will be having more views containing data from persons. So I
thought I could make some kind of macro of the "INSERT INTO persons .."
part. I saw PostgreSQL has support for CREATE FUNCTION (something I'm
not really familiar with). This is what I wanted to do:

I create a FUNCTION to insert data into persons:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION insert_person() RETURNS OPAQUE AS '
   BEGIN
      INSERT INTO persons ( first_name, last_name )
         VALUES ( NEW.first_name, NEW.last_name );
      RETURN NULL;
   END
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

And I will call the FUNCTION from the isnert_worker RULE

CREATE OR REPLACE RULE insert_worker AS ON INSERT TO workers DO INSTEAD (
  SELECT insert_person();

   INSERT INTO t_workers ( person_id, client_id )
      VALUES ( currval('persons_id_seq'), NEW.client_id );
);

If I try to insert data into workers, the following happens:

test_db=# insert into workers ( first_name, last_name ) VALUES ( 'John',
'Doe');
ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "insert_person" line 2 at SQL statement

PostgreSQL obviously complains about NEW not available, how can I make
it available? Is this the way to do it?

Sincerely,

Frodo Larik