Re: Odd Locking Problem - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John A Meinel
Subject Re: Odd Locking Problem
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 03:36:31PM -0500, John A Meinel wrote:
>
>>I'm having an odd case where my system is locking such that if I insert
>>into a table during a transaction, if I start a new connection and
>>transaction, it blocks while trying to do a similar insert until the
>>first transaction is committed or rolled back.
>

> Are there foreign keys here?  I can duplicate the problem easily with
> them:
>
> -- session 1
> create table a (a serial primary key);
> create table b (a int references a);
> insert into a values (1);
>
> begin;
> insert into b values (1);
>

> -- session 2
> insert into b values (1);
> -- hangs

Actually, there are but the insert is occurring into table 'a' not table
'b'.
'a' refers to other tables, but these should not be modified.

> If I commit on session 1, session 2 is unlocked.
>
> This is a known problem, solved in 8.1.  A workaround for previous
> releases is to defer FK checks until commit:
>
> create table b (a int references a initially deferred);

I'll try one of the CVS entries and see if it happens there. Good to
hear there has been work done.

John
=:->

Attachment