Re: BUG #1817: column not exist - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: BUG #1817: column not exist
Date
List pgsql-bugs
nguyen wrote:

> when i excecuted sql command "select * from employee" then result were ok,
> but if sql command were "select employeeID from employee" then have error
> return : column employeeID does not exist

This error is usually produced because a column of that name does not exist.

Since you are using a mixed-case column-name, I'm guessing that's the
cause of the problem. If you create a column mixed-case by quoting it:

CREATE TABLE employee (
   "employeeID" int4
)

Then you need to quote it when you use it:

SELECT "employeeID" FROM employee;

If you don't quote when you create, then the column is case-insensitive.

See the mailing-list archives for plenty of details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd