Re: COPY FROM performance improvements - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: COPY FROM performance improvements
Date
List pgsql-patches

Alon Goldshuv wrote:

>I performed those measurement by executing *only the parsing logic* of the
>COPY pipeline. All data conversion (functioncall3(string...)) and tuple
>handling (form_heaptuple etc...) and insertion were manually disabled. So
>the only code measured is reading from disk and parsing to the attribute
>level.

Arguably this might exaggerate the effect quite significantly.  Users
will want to know the real time effect on a complete COPY. Depending on
how much the pasing is in the total time your 20% improvement in parsing
might only be a small fraction of 20% improvement in COPY.

Like you, I'm happy we have seen a 5 times improvement in parsing. Is it
possible you can factor out something smallish from your patch that
might make up the balance?

cheers

andrew