Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Chris Travers wrote:
> The problem is pervasive in both proprietary and open source apps
> because the developer sees the RDBMS merely as a simple data store for
> his/her application.  The idea that the database might serve several
> apps never occurs to them.  Hence it makes real sense to put as much
> logic into the application level as possible because if you put it in
> the database, then that makes more work if you have to switch RDBMS's.

Many people do develop that way: the database is just a place to throw
bits and get 'em back later. I don't think we're going to change that
any time soon.

I think in a way, one of our allies is SQLLite, which sounds a little
strange. However, it's very simple, gets the job done (that is, puts
bits on physical storage and retrieves them), and doesn't claim to be
something it's not. MySQL gets on our nerves because they equate their
capabilities with those of PostgreSQL.

SQLLite has also recently replaced MySQL as the "built-in" database
layer for PHP. Hopefully that will cause a lot of people will associate
MySQL with SQLLite rather than PostgreSQL.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis