Re: Solving the OID-collision problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Solving the OID-collision problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> What if there aren't any "untouched chunks"?  With only 64K-chunk
> granularity, I think you'd hit that condition a lot more than you are
> hoping.  Also, this seems to assume uniqueness across all tables in an
> entire cluster, which is much more than we want; it makes the 32-bit
> size of OIDs significantly more worrisome than when they only need to be
> unique within a table.

Can I ask what happens if we end up re-using a recently de-allocated
OID? Specifically, can a cached plan (e.g. plpgsql function) end up
referring to an object created after it was planned:

CREATE FUNCTION f1()... -- oid=1234
CREATE FUNCTION f2()... -- oid=1235, calls f1() or oid=1234
DROP FUNCTION f1()
CREATE FUNCTION f3()... -- re-uses oid=1234

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd