Re: BUG #1806: Postmaster takes uses 99% of CPU - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: BUG #1806: Postmaster takes uses 99% of CPU
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Mike Kr=FCger wrote:
> Sorry, I lost the Email Adress of the List.

No problem, just remember to hit "reply all" rather than "reply".

> There are no problems with other Processes.
> The System is only slow, when the postmaster Prozess gets the 100 % CPU t=
ime.
> Can I configure it, that this Prozess dont get more than 60 % ?

Not really (on Linux anyway). However, if other processes have useful=20
work to do and need CPU time, they will get their fair share. So - if PG=20
is running at 99% CPU (for long periods) that implies all other=20
processes are either waiting for PG to respond anyway, or are waiting=20
for disk/network etc.

The system shouldn't feel "slow" or "unresponsive" just because one=20
process is busy. If it does, that might imply swap is being used, or=20
network or disk activity is at a maximum.

General system admin is too large a subject to deal with here, but the=20
tools to check documentation for are: top/free/vmstat/iostat/netstat

Oh - and make sure your configuration settings are reasonable. Read=20
these two performance-tuning guides:
  http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php
  http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

HTH