Re: Slow update statement - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Patrick Hatcher
Subject Re: Slow update statement
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sorry went out of town for the weekend.  The update did occur, but I
have no idea when it finished.

Here's the actual query and the explain Update:
cdm.bcp_ddw_ck_cus = 12.7 M
cdm.cdm_ddw_customer = 12.8M

explain
update cdm.cdm_ddw_customer
                                       set indiv_fkey = b.indiv_fkey
                                       from cdm.bcp_ddw_ck_cus b
                                       where
cdm.cdm_ddw_customer.cus_nbr = b.cus_num;

Here's the table layout.  It's the first time I noticed this, but there
is a PK on the cus_nbr and an index.  Does really need to be both and
could this be causing the issue?  I thought that if a primary key was
designated, it was automatically indexed.:

CREATE TABLE cdm.cdm_ddw_customer
(
  cus_nbr int8 NOT NULL,
  ph_home int8,
  ph_day int8,
  email_adr varchar(255),
  name_prefix varchar(5),
  name_first varchar(20),
  name_middle varchar(20),
  name_last varchar(30),
  name_suffix varchar(5),
  addr1 varchar(40),
  addr2 varchar(40),
  addr3 varchar(40),
  city varchar(25),
  state varchar(7),
  zip varchar(10),
  country varchar(16),
  gender varchar(1),
  lst_dte date,
  add_dte date,
  reg_id int4,
  indiv_fkey int8,
  CONSTRAINT ddwcus_pk PRIMARY KEY (cus_nbr)
)
WITH OIDS;

CREATE INDEX cdm_ddwcust_id_idx
  ON cdm.cdm_ddw_customer