Re: tsearch2: very slow queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: tsearch2: very slow queries
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> 'k, I'm obviously doing something wrong, since my experiences with sites
> like fts.postgresql.org indicate things should be *alot* faster then I'm
> getting ...

Well the first thing I would ask is are you running 8.0? My testing
shows that Tsearch is pretty abysmal if you are not running 8.0. At
least with very large tables.

> I have a *very* simple table:
>
> =# \d article_tsearch
>   Table "public.article_tsearch"
>    Column   |   Type   | Modifiers
> ------------+----------+-----------
>  article_id | integer  |
>  idxft1     | tsvector |
>     "at_idxft1_idx" gist (idxft1)
>
> rblog=# select count(1) from article_tsearch;
>  count
> --------
>  643072
> (1 row)

> Is there something else I should be doing to speed the query up any?  Or
> is this fairly normal?

Considering the number of rows I am not that surprised but I would be
curious to know what type of HD you have? Also correct me if I am wrong
but gist indexes are typically very large. Do you have enough
work_mem/sort_mem to keep them from going to disk?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting
Home of PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org