Re: Does preparing statements other than selects help performance? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Does preparing statements other than selects help performance?
Date
List pgsql-general
David Goodenough wrote:
> This set me thinking (always dangerous).  I can see how a SELECT can be
> helped by preparing the statement, but not really how an INSERT could
> or, other than the SELECT implicit in the WHERE clause on an UPDATE or
> DELETE, how UPDATE or DELETE statements would be helped.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me please?

Well, it does take time to parse/plan even a simple INSERT. But, unless
you are repeating that query many times (e.g. 1000 inserts to bulk-load
a table) I'm not sure you'll notice any gain.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd