Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Chris Travers wrote:
> The problem with enums is that although they are handy they are never
> elegant re: database design.  Addign enum tables is the only way yo
> maintain sanity in this eent that I can think of.

I mostly agree, but I don't think we can dismiss enum completely. After
all, boolean is pretty much enum(false,true), and nobody would advocate
removing that type.

We could probably think of a few other cases, but it's often used
inappropriately. Just the fact that we're talking about it now surprises
me; I had no idea that many people actually used enum. The thought of
using it never crossed my mind in a real situation.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis