Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum loose ends - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum loose ends
Date
List pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>Two comments still apply:
>
>- I haven't done anything yet w.r.t. the custom vacuum_delay nor sleep
>  scale factor.

I don't think we need the sleep scaling factor.  Before we had vacuum
delay settings, it might have been useful as a means of throttling down
the impact of autovacuum, but I think the delay settings are the better
way to go.

As for the custom vacuum_delay settings, Tom Lane's  commented that it
probably wasn't needed.  However I and several others responded saying
that it probably would be useful for certain use cases.  I'm still not
sure how compelling that case is but it seems like a simple addition.
Perhaps this is something we can add for 8.2 if people seem to want it.

>- There are still no docs.

I'm on the hook for this and will start working on them next week.