Mount database on RAM disk? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stuart Bishop
Subject Mount database on RAM disk?
Date
Re: Mount database on RAM disk?
List pgsql-performance
I'm putting together a road map on how our systems can scale as our load
increases. As part of this, I need to look into setting up some fast read
only mirrors of our database. We should have more than enough RAM to fit
everything into memory. I would like to find out if I could expect better
performance by mounting the database from a RAM disk, or if I would be
better off keeping that RAM free and increasing the effective_cache_size
appropriately.

I'd also be interested in knowing if this is dependant on whether I am
running 7.4, 8.0 or 8.1.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/