Re: rtree_gist work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Janko Richter
Subject Re: rtree_gist work
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not sure that you want to think of this as a direct copy of "what
> rtree would do".  The set of interesting operators isn't really the same
> for all these types ... which was hard or impossible to support in rtree
> but is trivial in GIST.  As an example, contains/contained in are pretty
> meaningless for two points; but it would be very useful to directly
> support queries like "point is contained in box?", "point is contained
> in circle?" on a point column.  There are some cross-type operators like
> these that ought to be added to the existing opclasses as well.  So I
> think the first part of the job is to figure out exactly what operators
> to support for each datatype.

I know about the problems. I have implemented similar index for spherical
objects using GIST ( http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgsphere/ ).
It is more complicated. There, I had to implement the operators plus GIST support.
There are a lot of cross-type operators as well.
So, I'm looking forward to solve the outstanding problems. Of course,
I will implement support of queries like "point is contained in box?".

BTW: I did a test/exercise some hours ago. The query "point is contained in box?"
is already using the GIST index in my CVS-Box. Currently, I don't see any problem.

My first question was "Is anybody working on it?". Because nobody does,
I would make a concept now in detail and start to implement it. Because it is for
8.2, I have a little bit time.

Regards,  Janko Richter