Re: Proposal: associative arrays for plpgsql (concept) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Proposal: associative arrays for plpgsql (concept)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Pavel,
>>

>>>    The concept is from Oracle 9i, but with some changes.
>>>
>>>http://www.oracle-10g.de/oracle_10g_documentation/appdev.101/b10807/05_coll
>>>s.htm#i35672
>>>

>>How does this match the SQL2003 spec?
>>

>I don't know. What I can read about it, it's only PL/SQL feature and maybe
>reason for PL/pgSQL.
>
>I like and need
>
>    a) hash arrays
>    b) iteration over all items of array
>
>All I can use well in my codes.

Well, plperl and pltcl will buy you these (not to mention plruby and
even pljavascript when I get around to creating it)

That's not to say that we should not build them into plpgsql, but to
suggest that there might be reasonable alternatives.

cheers

andrew