Re: Performance Tuning Article - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Keith Worthington
Subject Re: Performance Tuning Article
Date
Re: Performance Tuning Article
Re: Performance Tuning Article
List pgsql-performance

>>>  I've put together a short article and posted it online regarding
>>>  performance tuning PostgreSQL in general.  I believe it helps to
>>>  bring together the info in a easy to digest manner. I would
>>>  appreciate any feedback, comments, and especially any technical
>>>  corrections.
>>
>>Looks nice. You should mark the link to the perf tips at Varlena.com
>>as  "PostgreSQL 7.4" and augment it with the current version here:
>>www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList
>>as well as the Annotated .Conf File:
>>www.powerpostgresql.com/Docs
>

>   Thanks! These changes have been incorporated.
>

>>For my part, I've generally seen that SATA disks still suck for
>>read-write  applications.   I generally rate 1 UltraSCSI = 2 SATA
>>disks for anything but  a 99% read application.
>

>   I'll work this bit of wisdom in later tonight. Thanks again for the
>   feedback.
>
>  ---------------------------------
>    Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
>    http://www.wiles.org
>  ---------------------------------

Frank,

A couple of things I wish I had been told when I started asking how to
configure a new machine.

Use RAID 10 (striping across mirrored disks)
  or RAID 0+1 (mirror a striped array) for your data.
Use RAID 1 (mirror) for your OS
Use RAID 1 (mirror) for the WAL.

Don't put anything else on the array holding the WAL.

There have been problems with Xeon processors.

--
Kind Regards,
Keith