Connect to a PostgreSQL-Server by TCP/IP - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Fischer Ulrich
Subject Connect to a PostgreSQL-Server by TCP/IP
Date
Re: Connect to a PostgreSQL-Server by TCP/IP  (Tomasz Myrta <jasiek@klaster.net>)
List pgsql-interfaces
Hello

I'm new in this List.
I would like to connect to a Postgres-Server by a LabView-Client. The
problem is, there is NO odbc-driver for LV on Linux and no LV-interface
to postgreSQL.
So I decided to make my own simple LabView driver. Are there some docs,
which describes the basic communication over a tcp connection between
the postgres server and a client? I'm interested in 'message
architecture' (header, data for login, sql-querys and so on...) and all
this stuff.
I tried some backward engineering by sniffing the tcp connection, but it
is rather anoying. It looks like the messages have some binary headers
and they are a problem....

Has anybody an idea? Thanks for your help!!!

Regards
Ulrich

Sniffing the communication between a running perl-script (DBI) and postgres:

open tcp connection ..ok
client request .......296 bytes (???)
Postgres response ....1 byte (4e)
client request .......296 bytes (including dbname username in                      ascii)
Postgres response ....5 bytes (52 00 00 00 03)
client request .......14 bytes (including password in ascii)
Postgres response ....15 bytes (52 00 00 00 00 4b  00 00 78 6f 0c 43 eb
70 5a)
client request .......44 bytes (Qbegin ; select getdatabaseencoding();                      commit)
Postgres response ....79 bytes (CBEGIN Pblank getdatabaseencoding                      SQL_ASCIICSELECT CCOMMIT)
client request .......60 bytes (Qselect pid, name, vorname from                      mitarbeiter where pid= 'fiu')
Postgres response ....96 bytes (Pblank pid name Dvorname fiu Fischer                      UlrichCSELECT)
client request .......1 byte (58)

--
Ulrich G. Fischer                       Dipl. Natw. ETH
Center Aerodynamics                     Ruag Aerospace