Re: plperl better array support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: plperl better array support
Date
List pgsql-patches

David Fetter wrote:

>In src/backend/utils/adt/arrayfuncs.c there are direct
>array-manipulation functions.

And in other places - I had already found that stuff :-) . But a worked
example would help. If it's not available I'll muddle through some time.

> In the perlapi docs for perl, there are
>ways to manipulate arrays directly.

The patch is already using them. In fact, you can't delve even mildly
into plperl.c without having the perlapi docs close at hand.

> It should be possible to go
>between perl arrays and postgresql arrays this way, except...perl
>arrays can contain undef, which usually translates as NULL.  Would it
>be easier to add NULL support to postgresql arrays than to handle
>undefs in perl arrays automagically?

We should have NULL support in arrays. In the absence of that I'm not
particularly inclined to make special provsion for undef in an array.

cheers

andrew