Re: LGPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: LGPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> With libreadline, we are not taking their code or distributing it, but
>> merely linking to it if it exists.
>

> But we are also requiring it. The rpms won't install unless readline
> is available.
>
>  Now, some say that is enough to make
>
>> us GPL, but many don't agree with that interpretation.

We have been down this road before. You can not be forced to GPL your
code. You can be forced to stop using GPL code if you are in breach of
the GPL. That's according to the FSF themselves (specifically Eblen
Moglen). Some people have chosen to GPL their code rather than stop
their reliance on GPL code. That would would be a no-brainer choice for
us, as there is a simple BSD licensed replacement for libreadline.

So relax ;-) All is well.

cheers

andrew