Re: Server instrumentation - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Server instrumentation
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
>
>>pg_terminate_backend()
>>     exposing kill -SIGTERM <backendpid> to the client
>

> The objections to this have not changed since last year; in fact they
> are stronger because we have at least one report of actual trouble
> with retail SIGTERMs.

I'm not arguing about that, still SIGTERMing a single backend is widely
used.

>>pg_file_stat()
>>pg_file_length()
>>pg_file_read()
>>pg_file_write()
>>pg_file_unlink()
>>pg_file_rename()
>>pg_dir_ls()
>

> I really have serious doubts about the value of this.

You're insisting on this exceptionally weak argument for a year now. We
all know that you personally do everything from the cmd line, but there
*is* a requirement to have additional ways of access to config files. I
do have wide positive feedback on this, see the discussion a month back
(and some more private mails). And besides, they are already widely in
use by pgadmin from the win32 pgsql distro when displaying logfiles,
which is installed by default.

Regards,
Andreas