Re: RAID0 vs RAID1 vs RAID? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Rodolfo Baselli
Subject Re: RAID0 vs RAID1 vs RAID?
Date
List pgsql-admin
Cris Carampa wrote:
> Is it possible that RAID0 is 6 times faster than RAID1? Since RAID0 has
> no fault tolerance, what is the RAID configuration that gives maximum
> performance and reliability? RAID10?

Short (same old) answer: it depends.
It's no surprise that RAID0 outperforms RAID1 expecially in the write
performance.
Fault tolerance is has its own overhead. A smart RAID controller takes
advantage in read operations in both cases, but it's definitely
different in write operations.
You have to check whether your db configuration or application dml
statements affect the performance tests (eg. they are the most frequent
operations).

Bye

--
Rodolfo Baselli