Re: SQL query timing question - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: SQL query timing question
Date
List pgadmin-support
Dave Lazar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table with 10 rows, and about 50 columns. Not much need for
> indexing. When I execute a select * command, it can take 18ms to run
> the query, but 1300ms for the data retrieval time for example...
>
> What controls this data retrieval timing? It seems like my query
> executes fast, but the bottleneck is this value?? Is there something
> in postgresql.conf that needs tweaking. I have a RH box with a 17Ghz
> P4 and 2 gigs RAM, and the bottleneck pgAdmin shows me appears to be
> this data retrieval time.

It's the GUI that takes up the time, i.e. the client, 18ms is postgresql
backend and transport time, nothing to be tuned in postgresql.conf here.
You're probably running pgAdmin on Linux, where the wxgtk implementation
of wxListView is really slow with a lot of columns.

Regards,
Andeas