Re: How to avoid database bloat - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: How to avoid database bloat
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mindaugas Riauba wrote:

>>AFAICT the vacuum is doing what it is supposed to, and the problem has
>>to be just that it's not being done often enough.  Which suggests either
>>an autovacuum bug or your autovacuum settings aren't aggressive enough.
>>

>  -D -d 1 -v 1000 -V 0.5 -a 1000 -A 0.1 -s 10
>
>  That is autovacuum settings. Should be aggressive enough I think?

Might e aggressive enough, but might not.  I have seen some people run
-V 0.1.  Also you probably don't need -A that low.  This could an issue
where analyze results in an inaccurate reltuples value which is
preventing autovacuum from doing it's job.  Could you please run it with
-d 2 and show us the relevant log output.

>>Which PG version is this exactly?  Some of the earlier autovacuum
>>releases do have known bugs, so it'd be worth your while to update
>>if you're not on the latest point release of your series.
>>

>  8.0.3

That should be fine.