Re: slow queries, possibly disk io - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rudi Starcevic
Subject Re: slow queries, possibly disk io
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I had some disk io issues recently with NFS, I found the command 'iostat
-x 5' to be a great help when using Linux.

For example here is the output when I do a 10GB file transfer onto hdc
Device:    rrqm/s wrqm/s   r/s   w/s  rsec/s  wsec/s    rkB/s    wkB/s
avgrq-sz avgqu-sz   await  svctm  %util
hdc          0.00 875.95  0.00 29.66    0.00 7244.89     0.00  3622.44
244.27     3.07  103.52   1.78   5.27

The last field show the disk is 5.27% busy.

I have seen this value at 100%, adding more server brought it under 100%.
It seems that if you hit 100% problems sort of cascade all over that
place. For example Apache connections went right up and hit their max.

I am not sure how accurate the % is but it has work pretty well for me.

Perhaps use this command in another window with you run your SQL and see
what it shows.

HTH.
Kind regards,
Rudi.