Re: Values list-of-targetlists patch for comments (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Values list-of-targetlists patch for comments (was Re:
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Aug 3, 2006, at 23:58 , Tom Lane wrote:

> Should we give VALUES its own reference page?  That doesn't quite
> seem helpful either.

I think we should go for a separate reference page, as VALUES appears
to be expanding quite a bit. Up till now I've thought of VALUES only
in conjunction with UPDATE, so perhaps a useful alternative would be
to keep all of the information regarding VALUES and its syntax would
be as a large part of the UPDATE reference page, though that would
imply by placement (even if explained otherwise) that VALUES is only
a part of the UPDATE syntax, which it no longer (?) is. That brings
me back to the idea of VALUES deserving its own reference page.

I wonder how soon pretty much the entire SQL spec will be duplicated
in the PostgreSQL documentation. :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net