Re: SQL command Error: "create table ... Like parentTable - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bricklen Anderson
Subject Re: SQL command Error: "create table ... Like parentTable
Date
List pgsql-sql
Ying Lu wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a simple question about SQL command :
>
> create table tableName1 LIKE parentTable   INCLUDING defaults ;
>

> I was trying to create table "tableName1" with the same structure as
> "parentTable" without any data. I got a syntax error: 'syntax error at
> or near "like" ... '
>
> I guess there must be something wrong with my sql command, could
> somebody help?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Emi

I've never used the "LIKE..INCLUDING" clause before so I can't comment on that,
but as an alternative, you could try a CTAS:
create table tableName1 as select * from parentTable where 1=0; (will not get
the rows, just the structure).

Cheers,

Bricklen
--