Re: Rule vs Trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Rule vs Trigger
Date
List pgsql-general
--- Alfred Zhao <rongkai.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
> Suppose I want to update a statistics table S after an insertion into an
> activity table A. In order to update S automatically, I can either create a
> rule on A or create an after trigger on A. What's the performance
> implication on using rule vs trigger? Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that Triggers offer better performance than rules do.

However, one important advantage of triggers over rules is that rules are not able to correctly
handle DML statements that affects more than one record in a single statement.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.