Re: HOT synced with HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: HOT synced with HEAD
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hmm ... so all that logic to prune just one tuple chain is dead code,
because heap_page_prune_defrag() ignores its pruneoff argument and
always passes InvalidOffsetNumber down to heap_page_prune().

While this is certainly a fairly trivial bug, it makes me wonder whether
the prune-one-chain logic has ever been active and whether there is any
real evidence for having it at all.  Was this error introduced in some
recent refactoring, or has it always been like that?  Given the way that
the logic works now, in particular that we always insist on doing
defrag, what point is there in not pruning all the chains when we can?

            regards, tom lane