Re: guids / bytea and index use ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: guids / bytea and index use ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Paul Newman wrote:
> We are currently using a 32byte varchar for our primary keys. We tried
> to reduce this down to 16 bytes but varchar didn't seem to store this
> correctly.

In what way was it not stored "correctly"? The size limit should not
significantly affect varchar behavior, other than bounding its maximum
size of course.

> I'd like to use bytea instead so we could use 16bytes, but are
> indexes used properly ?

Sure.

> Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to store guids ?

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pguuid/projdisplay.php

is out there; I haven't used it personally, though.

Is there a reason you can't use an int8?

-Neil