Re: BUG #1671: Long interval string representation rejected - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: BUG #1671: Long interval string representation rejected
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Mark Dilger wrote:
> It appears that any string representation of an interval of length greater
> than 76 is rejected.  (76 = 51 + 25 = MAXDATELEN + MAXDATEFIELDS).  This
> appears to be a limitation enforced within function interval_in() in the
> file src/backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c

Yeah, this seems bogus. It's not even clear to me why MAXDATELEN +
MAXDATEFIELDS is used as the size of that buffer in the first place. I
don't know the datetime code particularly well; perhaps someone who does
can shed some light on this?

-Neil